Friday, February 18, 2011

Wish List

While my Blogger pals are filling out seed lists and purchasing seed packets, I am forming my own list. A Wish List. The problem with my Wish Lists is that I forget them and never get around to making it happen!!
This time, it will be different. I will fulfill my list!!!

1. Black Beauty Oriental Trumpet Lily                                                      from oldhousegardens.com:
BLACK BEAUTY, 1957
Though absolutely gorgeous – with 15-40 turk’s-cap flowers of dark raspberry narrowly edged in silver – ‘Black Beauty’ is even more prized for its wonderful vigor and long life in all sorts of gardens. In fact, you’ll often hear it called “indestructible.” 
They have a photo of a 5 year old clump of these that took my breath away!!




2. Daylily Peony Display
from perennialnursery.com:
Daylily 'Siloam Peony Display' has large, lightly fragrant 6" fully double flowers that are light apricot with a rose eyezone above a green throat.







3. Primula aricula Viennese Waltz
from Bluestone Perennial:
Rosettes of thick evergreen leaves. Flowers of unusual colors which run to purples, greens and near brown are produced on 6" stems.






4. Ornamental Corn 'Field of Dreams'
from National Garden Bureau:
 Highly variegated green and white with touches of rose, ‘Field of Dreams’ adds color and structure to large combination pots and accents in the landscape. Plants can reach four to five feet tall and produce ears that are as attractive after the season as the plants were beautiful during the season.
 How ironic?? In the midst of corn country USA?? It's gorgeous!

5. Crataegus viridis 'Winter King'

Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs, "Excellent choice as a small ornamental tree or for use against an evergreen background."

I began noticing something about those who tend to have visits from songbirds in the winter: they have Hawthorn trees. I have few trees, but the ones I do have, have been planted for birds. Crabapples, evergreens and viburnums. Now, Hawthorns are on the list. Then, I will have house wrens and titmice and woodpeckers. Now, all I get are hawks and meadowlarks. BORING!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I really like the ornamental corn idea. Maybe I'll try some in a container in place of the purple fountain grass. All of my wished for plants are written on snippets of paper and thrown into one of my three gardening drawers. One that comes to mind right now is a gorgeous purple daylily called Tupac Amaru.

    donna

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!