Monday, February 21, 2011

What would you do??

Today I ran to the grocery store. I needed some ham, (who says that?), so I waited in line at the deli. The people in front of me were memorable, as they ordered 3lbs of thinly sliced roast beef, when their order was finished and the price tag was placed on it, they made a lot of noise about the price. The roast beef was plainly marked, $8.99/lb.  They were also memorable because the couple were matching in size. The size being about 4'6".
As it sometimes happens, they were in the same aisle as I was, thru out the shopping trip. When I was grabbing my overpriced can of Folger's coffee, the girl hollered to the associate, where do you's keep the onions??, as though she normally found them next to the coffee. I noticed the gentleman with her was eating the roast beef out of the deli bag.
I needed spinach for dinner, so I headed over to produce. I grabbed the bag of spinach and headed to potatoes. There was my friend, picking up onions and throwing them down in disgust.
That's when I noticed it....
Her gentleman friend picked up the bag of roast beef that he'd eaten most of the beef out of. He placed it in the onions and walked away.
I stared him right in the eyes. I stared right back as if to say, what are you gonna do about it??
Truth is, I didn't know what to do. There were several associates working in produce, restocking and such, but I was afraid to say something where that evil roast beef guy could see me.
In the end, I did nothing except tell my cashier. She said there was really nothing she could do. She told me that they find empty shrimp containers and even empty fried chicken containers all over the store.
Sitting here, now, I do regret not taking action. Next time, I will turn to the customer service desk and report what I've seen.
That's about as vigilante as I can get!

I needed the spinach for the Spinach Walnut Pesto I made for dinner.
Spinach Walnut Pesto
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic
3 or 4 ounces toasted walnuts
1/4 lb shredded parmesan cheese
Pesto is such a classic, everyone has their own method, but I like to always toast my walnuts/pine nuts and I like to warm the oil with the smashed garlic. I then put the ingredients in the blender or food processor. I use the blender if I'm making enough for one meal, but I bring out the food processor for big batches of basil pesto!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how dishonest and disgusting some people can be. Imagine thinking like that. Horrors!
    The spinach/walnut pesto sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!