Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Grand Granola Rip Off

Have you priced granola at the store, lately??? SHEESH! The bulk granola at the Hy-Vee is $13.95/pound. I filled a plastic bag of it and the lady rang it up and had the nerve to look at me and say, "that'll be $14.12". She and I both spun our heads around to check the screen of her register to be sure it was correct.
"Wow," she said.
"No way," I said.
"No way. NO WAY!" she says in agreement.
So I leave. I don't have the granola, but I still have my hard earned $. And, I suspect, some respect from the cashier.
On the drive home, I did a mental checklist and granola seemed hard. That must be why it is expensive, right?
I bring the subject up to my pal Rose, when we met for lunch the other day. She straightened me out about the whole entire granola issue and set me right. Later, she emailed me a recipe which seemed simple and straight forward. Definitely my kind of recipe.
Guess what? I saved a ton of money and hubby and I are dining on the finest custom granola ever. 
The worst part? I've been purchasing granola for years. I can't think of all that money down the tubes.
I have to remember to switch lenses when I take food pictures. eek.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I remember making granola many years ago. It was good. If you make your own you can control the sugar. Everyone thinks packaged granola is so healthy, but it's really not...most of it is loaded with sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about most things these days, although that amount is extreme.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief, that is a ridiculous price for granola. I made a recipe recently that was good. Are you going to be sharing your recipe here? I need to make another batch.

    Have a lovely Christmas season.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of years ago I went on a sugar-free and refined food-free diet to help with some general health issues. At that time I was amazed to see how much sugar there was in cereals. Your granola looks fabulous! Jx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!