Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bit o' Honey

Very little that has anything interesting about it is going on around here. The weather is fabulous, though. Today is December 18th and it was over 40! We got about an inch of snow on Friday night, but it is long gone, now. There are presents to be wrapped and cookies to be made. I have invited mother-in-law over for Christmas Day dinner, but we don't have any parties planned. 
On Monday, I found a bag of bulbs my boss had purchased but not planted. So, I got the shovel and took a minute to plop them in the ground. I didn't have the luxury of time or planning, but she had purchase 8 bags at Wally for $1 per bag and they were starting to sprout! So, I dug a long trench and tossed them in. Tulip and daffs. Hopefully, they'll come up!
This summer, I hope to have Nakkid Lady Lilies! Remember those? I rescued them from a lot in Joplin, in August. I am worried that they may not be hardy enough, so I placed them next to the foundation of the house, hoping the residual warmth from the concrete will help. 
The Southerners I knew called them Nakkid Lady lilies because the foliage comes up in a rain storm in June, then it dies down. Suddenly, in August, the lily stalk comes up and they bloom without foliage! Thus, Nakkid Ladies!
We did have a bit of good news! Hubs has been working the graveyard shift since taking this new job, and it is rough. He is exhausted all the time and has moved downstairs to sleep on a temporary futon bed because he cannot sleep upstairs during the day-it is just too bright. The boss told hubs that they've hired his replacement and they want to move him to days sometime in January! What a relief!
Another bright spot-my winter boss, where I make the t-shirts, does not want me to go away for the summer, so she's made this job VERY appealing. The way my job with the grower ended up, I can not go back to them, anyways. Their company is a train wreck.
This is good news for the tomato lovers in my family. You see, prime tomato planting time is also the time where I am working over 60 hours a week. This leaves very little daylight or energy to plant tomatoes. Normally, they go in around Father's Day. Working the regular job will allow more time to tend to the veggie garden. The prospects of good tomatoes are looking good!

For dinner tonite, I have made the Mexican Pork. This stuff is wonderful. It couldn't be easier, either. Cube a pork loin, toss it in the crock pot with a can of chopped green chilies, a couple chilies in adobo, and garlic. Simmer on low for 7 hours. So easy and so good! I serve it with lime and cilantro and cheese on long grain rice cooked with lime juice and cilantro. 
I never know what to do with the leftovers from those little cans of chilies. They are quite spicy, so one or two per crock pot is plenty for my family. Using both the chipotle in adobo and the green chilies, I didn't use the entire can of either, otherwise it would be too spicy! So, I did this:
I sprayed the ice cube tray with non stick and dumped the remaining chilies in there. It is my hope that they come right out, and I can pop them into a ziplock! We shall see....
I have had so many folks ask about the granola. I make it every Sunday and did so again, today. 
I know Cher thought this amount is extreme, but 3 of us eat this every day, sometimes I have it for lunch and breakfast. It is not an extreme amount if you are eating 3 cups per day. Either way, I truly don't think granola can be messed up. I started with whole old fashioned oats as a foundation and added from there. We are not eating white sugar, so I took that into account and made a delicious wholesome granola!
6 cups whole oats
1 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
1 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/2 c walnuts
1/4 cup flax meal
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup organic honey
1/2 cup real maple syrup
2/3 extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt, (important as salt amplifies sweet!)
Mix thoroughly and allow to set for a few minutes to allow the liquid to be absorbed in the dry. Spread onto lined and sprayed cookie sheets (honey sticks and burns!). I then sprinkle both trays with 1/2 packet of Truvia sweetener.  

Bake @ 300 for 45 mins, stirring every 15 mins. 
While warm, toss in some dried fruit if you like! I add 1/3 cup dates, cranberries, and raisins.
Granola, non fat vanilla yogurt and no sugar added frozen berries = 13 lbs GONE from Sissy!
We've decided that we will indulge a few times during the holidays, cookies, Prime Rib, and some other goodies, and go back to Phase 1 for January. 
Soon, I will start to plan the whole Winter Sowing thing. I begged Sue for the trays that she uses to sow, (have you seen Sue's gardens???) and I just know it will work for me. 
A box arrived from Sue and I placed it in the closet, so I didn't get it strewn all over the place and lose the trays before Winter Sowing time. I almost wrapped it as a gift, the other day! 
Soon it will be time to concentrate on growing, again!


3 comments:

  1. The granola looks wonderful. I ought to do something like that but then I would just eat too much of it. :)
    Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Cher Sunray Gardens
    Goldenray Yorkies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the weight loss! You have been doing fabulous. I know what you mean about figuring out what to cook and taking the time to cook it, but it is paying OFF so keep it up. Good news on the job front too. Did you get my message in time about Moxie's in Dekalb? I'm waiting to see if my good friend and her family are coming home for Christmas. Her parents live on Mill Pond Road. Thought if she does, I could stop by and say "Hey" to you on my way.
    Connie LOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've had a LOT of great news lately---especially the job change.
    I've always thought it would be so neat to work in a nursery/garden center, but knew I could never do it because my own garden would suffer. Well, that and I'm pretty sure my whole check would go for plants. I'm better off broke and in the garden-LOL!!
    Have a really great Christmas. And happy Winter Sowing!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!