Monday, January 02, 2012

Extending my Season

After reading a beautiful post on Three Dogs in a Garden, I am determined to have a cold frame. I have loads of space for one and I know the perfect place. If you're anything like me, you need clear directions, in laymen's terms, to really grasp something.
The best instructions I have found for this project came from the Dummies.com. Great. Well, I might as well own it.
The raised beds I currently have are 5x5, untreated redwood. They were really expensive to build because I didn't want the arsenic from the wood leaching into our food! Finding untreated redwood wasn't the only expense. Filling 4 of the 18" high, 5'x5' raised beds with black dirt was no bargain, either!
With all that behind me, I add layers of compost and good ol' chicken manure (THANK you, Mike, Lyn, Wyatt and Megan!!!) to the raised beds every spring, they are low maintenance.
The cold frame would be something I need to add. I don't want to use my raised beds. I also wonder about the practicality of finding a cover that is 5'x5'.
So, I will build one from scratch. I may not be able to get a nice glass top, but I can find fiberglass to fit. This will be a good winter project for me.
I found the instructions here:
Cold Frame For Dummies


I am interested in growing some cole crop and extending the growing season on both ends. Anyone use one of these?

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I'm not a gardener at all, just perennials, but the thought of a cold frame actually is appealing to me too. A friend has one and i am amazed by her prolonged gardening season. By the way, your previous posts, especially the omelet recipe now has me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Happy 2012! Maybe if you could find a sliding glass door and use the glass panes for your cold frame would work on your raised beds? Just my thoughts...
    ~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually looks pretty doable. Make sure the spot you pick has easy access in winter. There will be times when you need to open the frame on sunny days and you need to be able to get to it even when it is muddy out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Someday I'll build me one. Better watch those 2 rabbits though.... they look pretty hungry! ;)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my mother having a cold frame years ago; now I would love to have one, too. I'm kicking myself for not saving the old glass patio doors we had replaced--they would have been perfect for a top. Maybe you could check some recycling or restoration places to see if they have an old one that would work for you.

    Happy New Year, Sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now those are some good instructions. I am with you girl I need the dummies books too. LOL! I wish I had a cold frame too.It does cost a mint to fill those raised beds with soil.LOL! That is probably the main reason I have any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you and yours, dear Sissy! Christmas has finally been put away and I now have more time to concentrate on my blogging. I'm looking forward to some quiet days ahead:-)

    I've just read all of your recent posts and I'm drooling over all the recipes you posted...must copy them all!! It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas with your family and I very much enjoyed looking at all your pictures.

    My friend/neighbour June has a cold frame that her hubby built but it can't be used in the winter time because it's usually covered by a foot or two of snow! lol Once the snow starts to thaw, though, usually by the end of March, they start putting in plants to start growing. By the time our planting season starts, in late May, early June, their plants are already a good size:-)

    Looking forward to another year of your delightful friendship!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have room for a cold frame and mainly grow flowers, anyway. It sounds like fun, though! I would love to be able to garden in the winter. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cold frames are some of the best and most innovative ways to garden! Totally love your ideas that you are willing to display and work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!