Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pickles




I've never canned anything before but really wanted to try the refrigerator pickles. Guess what?? They're awesome! I followed a recipe I found online and it seemed like it was all going well until I added the pickling spice. I won't add that again. It has cloves in it, and I was looking for a more Claussen like garlic pickle! All in all, they are really good and ready to eat in just days!
Claussen like Pickles
  • gallon cucumber

  • 1/3 cup instant minced onion


  • garlic cloves, minced


  • 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds


  • heads fresh dill


  • 1 1/2 quarts water


  • cups white wine vinegar


  • 1/2 cup canning salt



  • Boil vinegar and salt and water together with mustard seed until salt dissolves. Cut a small piece off both ends of cucumbers, (I used the Kirby cukes), as the blossom end will cause the pickles to turn to mush if left intact. Divide the onion and garlic between jars. Slice cucumbers long ways and place in jars, on top of garlic and onion. Add part of the dill floret and pour the vinegar mixture on top, filling jar, leaving 1/2" headspace. Place lids on jars and leave on counter until cooled completely. Refrigerate. Use within 6 months. 
    Photobucket

    1 comment:

    1. I love canned pickles. Craig use to do that a lot. Wonder if he's going to this year.
      Cher Sunray Gardens

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!