Wednesday, February 21, 2007

excerpt from PETERSON FIELD GUIDES®
Horned Lark
Eremophila alpestris

On open fields in winter, flocks of Horned Larks walk and run on the ground. If disturbed, the flock circles in swift, twisting flight, making soft lisping call notes. This species, our only native lark, begins nesting very early in spring in those same barren fields, and the tinkling songs of the males come from high overhead as they perform their flight-song display. The "horns" of the Horned Lark are little tufts of feathers, visible only at close range.

I am always jealous of everybody's birds!! Especially Kerry's
She seems to have every type of bird! Over the snow storm last week, Jeff and I were staring out the window when a whole flock of these little guys came walking by. They just walk. They don't hop or flit, they walk around!!
I am so glad to finally have another kind of bird!!

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, Sissy. I see everyone else's cute posts of chickadees and cardinals and nuthatches, and what do I have? Starlings. Nothing but stinkin' starlings. Since I had to stop feeding the birds, I don't see any of the cardinals that I saw last winter *sigh*

    I've never seen a horned lark before. They are cute little guys :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and if you can leave a comment, I will visit your blog, too!